Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Spraynard - Funtitled



Asian Man Records and If You Make It have both released the new full length 'Funtitled' by pop punk darlings Spraynard. This album is not only in the running for best album title involving a pun of all time, but also in the running for the best pop punk release of the year. But that's just an opinion I've heard from some, and is not really shared by me...but I may be playing favorites...I don't know.

Spraynard are a pop punk three-piece from West Chester, PA who have made quite an impact on the scene recently. By impact, I really just mean a bunch of dudes have been talking about how great they are and stuff like that...which is an impact in a world of idlers and an economic slump. This 'Funtitled' album IS actually really good and definitely lives up to all the aforementioned pseudo-hype, and since you can download it for free, it's definitely worth every bit of the cost. But, you know, if you really feel like it, you can buy it from this nice guy named Mike out of his garage business Asian Man Records...because it's the right thing to do and all.

The album starts off dusty and rusty with some drum beating and bass picking, and then I think Latterman comes on or something, or at least that's what it sounds like happens. I do have a little bit of a bone to pick at this point...is it REALLY necessary for EVERY band out of Pennsylvania to sound sort of like each other? Or for them all to sound sort of like Latterman? Maybe Latterman practices were just so loud, that the bands in Pennsylvania could hear them playing all the way from New York every day. In which case, I guess I understand. I mean, High School Football Heroes stole a horn line from Arrogant Sons of Bitches by accident due to sharing a practice space...but theirs was in the same city and state, so it's more excusable. I think the point is that I expected this voice and style to be somewhat played out by now, but it still does sound good, no matter who it's coming from this week.

Some songs on this album really do stand out and make their mark on the scene, so it's not just a bunch of samesy pop punk numbers which will pass us by like semis on the highway; there are also some samesy pop punk numbers which we will scream along to with relentless vigor, white knuckles, sweaty tight jeans, and eyes close to tears. The first track is actually one of these type of songs, so you'll get what I mean pretty quickly. I think it might be easier on you if I just actually list them right now...which isn't my typical style by any means, but I don't want to become boring and repetitive like Nofx or anything:


  • O.R. They?
  • Ah Gun
  • the second half of Damn You, A Box
  • Not Good Enough, Gary
  • Joe Gallgher's Fantasy Fun Camp
Then the rest of the songs sound like Latterman.

-Idle

P.S. If you haven't heard Latterman then this band will actually sound pretty original to you.

P.P.S. I like this album, regardless.

P.P.P.S. You can download it here or buy it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment