Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Honah Lee - Life Won't Let Me




It's always refreshing when you're asked by your colleague to get off your ass and review an album, and then you turn said album on and you realize it's fucking excellent and this review is going to write itself. That's the case with the new album Life Won't Let Me by Honah Lee from New Jersey. It's fucking awesome.

Honah Lee's vocalist Tim has a very distinctive voice. It's kind of like 80s style pop punk vocals on top of a pretty broad variety of instrumentals, as far as era goes. Some songs sound like they're straight out of the 80s, while others sound more 90s or even more recent. The vocal melodies on this record as fucking infectious and will do anything to prevent you from evicting them from your head. Trust me, you're stuck with these.

"Give me something with a badass tempo, give me something that will stick in my head. Give me something with some real emotion, give me something so I know I'm not dead." These are lyrics directly out of the song "Bobby's Dead" on Life Won't Let Me and it's interesting because they definitely take care of these demands just by writing this song and every other song on this album.

If you're looking for a new pop punk band to become obsessed with, I think we have you covered with Honah Lee. If I would have to compare them to any bands, I would have to list The Queers, The Ergs, and Screeching Weasel. The thing is, I like them better than two of those bands. Can you guess which? Hopefully.

So, if you're going to do anything this week…which is something I generally advise against, I say that this 'anything' you're getting into should be listening to Life Won't Let Me by Honah Lee. Do it.

-Idle

3 comments:

  1. Awesome review. Much deserved... I love this album!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These guys are great. Great dudes, an outrageous party live. Thanks for checking them out, Idle!
    -nichPlural

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you ever get the chance to meet the guys from Honah Lee, they're totally awesome. They gave me a free CD just for dancing their whole set. They're as cool as their music. Love these guys. :D

    ReplyDelete