Thursday, January 5, 2012

Dowsing - All I Could Find Was You


This is the third day in a row that I’ve reviewed an album released by CYLS (Count Your Lucky Stars). You know why that is? Every single band on that record label is brilliant. I honestly feel like I found some new, revolutionary alternate energy source or I discovered a brand new gold mine or something. Or maybe it’s more like when you’re hiking through the woods and you come across a rock that's shaped precisely like male genitalia, and you’re like, “woah! That’s crazy,” and then you go and tell everyone and they’re all like, “dude, I’ve seen that rock plenty of times before and I’m already aware of how great it is.” I hope nobody feels confused or excluded by that shitty analogy. What I’m trying to say is:  CYLS isn’t new (they’re on their 5th year), but they’re certainly new to me. So, I’m pretty excited.

Not unlike the other CYLS bands I reviewed (Empire! Empire!, Annabel, The Reptilian, Warren Franklin, Joie De Vivre), this band Dowsing from Chicago are a breath of the freshest air. Their new EP ‘All I Could Find Was You’ is packed with 6 of the most heartfelt songs I’ve heard since Shinobu or Arrogant Sons of Bitches. This 4-piece emo-indie group know what they’re doing, and what they’re doing is melting our faces and breaking our hearts.

The EP kicks off with “Driving,” which is the perfect blend of poppy feels and scathing vocals. Dowsing remind me a lot of what it would be like if Warren Franklin was part of full band rather than just a one man ninja army musician. The rest of the album continues in this manner:  infectious vocals matched up with infectious clean guitar leads and an abundance of simple, poppy chord progressions. I feel like this band could easily act as a buffer between pop punk and emo. If you’re really into pop punk and then you check out this band, you’ll likely be all like, “oh man, this is right down my alley, but new at the same time!” And if you’re into emo and check them out, you might find yourself jamming out to Handguns or The Dopamines just a couple days later.

The album closes with “Joking/Laughing,” which is probably one of the best album closers I’ve ever had the pleasure of witnessing. There’s a cathartic build up followed by a veritable musical explosion (well, really just it’s keyboard, guitar, bass, drums doing what they do best) paired with great gang vocals. It’s a great ending to an awesome release by a superb group of rad musicians. ADJECTIVES!

Check out Dowsing’s ‘All I Could Find Was You’ over on their bandcamp page, and pay a visit to the CYLS bandcamp to check out loads of other awesome bands!

-Idle

Check out our facebook.
Comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment