Thursday, October 6, 2011

Andrew Jackson Jihad - Knife Man


To anyone familiar with all the Andrew Jackson Jihad releases to date, this new one, 'Knife Man', will seem long. REALLY long. At first, you'll probably be all like, "ah, a formidable opponent! 43 minutes playing time, I will defeat you!" But, of course, after you're like a song or two in, your inner dialogue becomes, "oh shit, this album is amazing!" And then after the last song, "WHY NO MORE SONGS :(" Yeah, something like that. To sum this really amateur introductory paragraph up:  Knife Man is full of 16 really awesome songs and unless you lack a heart and soul, you will fall in love with it.

Andrew Jackson Jihad are like a folk punk band, I suppose. I don't know if that's what you'd really classify them as, but whenever I hear the term "folk punk", several bands go through my mind all at once. That'd be Wingnut Dishwasher's Union, Chris Clavin, and Andrew Jackson Jihad. I mean, they're really punk influenced dudes who play a bunch of really catchy songs to a bunch of punk kids all the time. If that's not folk punk, then I don't really know what is. I've read somewhere that they're from Arizona, but I'm pretty sure that's false. They're most definitely from heaven. Or, at least, they've spent a shit load of time in heaven perfecting their music and becoming awesome people. I think it's really the only possible way to explain the effect their music has on people. I swear that everyone I know is head over heels in love with these guys, and I'm included. Sean (vocalist, guitarist) and Ben (bassist) are some of the nicest people in the world, and I'm saying that while having only ever met the former! Oh yeah, the new album...

'Knife Man' is just as great as everything else AJJ have released up to this point, if not even more great! There are so many parts you can't help but singalong to, and so many cleverly simple lyrics that are simply clever, and just the right mix of cynicism, realism, pessimism, optimism, intellectualism, anti-intellectualism, atheism, theism, and every other ism you can think of. Seriously, the isms are all mixed in pretty well with this release. There's even another edition of the People song series that we all fondly remember from the album 'People Who Can Eat People...', and it's just as awesome as the prior editions. There's also a lot of electric guitar and drumming and other full band type shit that I probably should've mentioned earlier on in the review. This album is definitely far more eclectic than the other releases, and definitely has a lot to show for it. IT'S SO GOOD, GUYS. I SWEAR.

My friend Tim kept telling me how imperative it was that I listened to this album immediately. He was totally right. I'm pretty sure if you played this movie for Bambi right after the whole scene with his mother dying and whatnot, he'd find inner peace and happiness and probably head down to the forest soup kitchen to help out the even less fortunate. I don't know what the science is behind music making people feel this great, but clearly Sean and Ben are renowned scientific visionaries in this field. Folkologists or punkologists, or folkpunkologists or something. I don't know what it is; I just know that this album is amazing. There's zero chance of you not liking it. Unless you're a complete weirdo. So, buy it. Duh.

5 out of 5 stars, dudes.

-Idle

Comment below for unexplainable joy.
Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment