Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Cain Marko- At Sea

Cain Marko is a great punk rock band from Grand Rapids. This awesome EP was self released by Chris Lidstone, Jeremy Verwys, Jay Vanveen, and Joel Otte. RIYL Black Sails, Western Shores, Hot Water Music, Awesomepunkrockbands.
"At Sea In St. Paul" has some really, really cool percussion in it. Jay Vanveen is clearly a pretty cool dude. The vocals not only have some great harmonies, I love the gruff sound of their voices. The music is super catchy and it's a great way to start off the EP.
"Ralph, I Can't See!" sounds like a bad Lord of the Flies reference, but it's actually a great song with catchy guitar lines! It's choppy as a sous chef sometimes, but in a good way. Lots of bouncy riffs, too. The lyrics in this song are pretty awesome, too!
"I Read this In A Book" is one of the most depressing things I've ever heard. Or at least since I watched Precious. Don't get me wrong, the music is awesome with really interesting melody lines and a badass bridge. But the lyrics made me wanna cry or adopt homeless babies or something.. Either way, it's still a great song so I forgive them for the sad (talented, nonetheless) lyrics.
"Let's Go Kill that Bastard" continues with the same theme: intriguing melodies and fun drum lines.. But there's something new: a capella group vocals! Really, what's a good record without that... The only thing it's missing is some 'woah oh's. 

Overall, I loved it. I really did. Check it out, you can spare two bucks for a fun EP. This is their facebook. This is ours.

-Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment