Friday, August 5, 2011

Forty Winks- Bow Wow

Forty Winks, hailing from Bologna, Italy, is possibly one of the strangest things I've ever heard- and I mean that in the best of ways. Sandro, Roberto, Andrea, Francesco, and Riccardo truly make a sound all their own. Influenced by punk rock and general pop/rock, they've settled into their own little pocket of indie rock and roll. This album is set to release on August 23th!
'
Let's be honest- the album starts off a little hectic. "Beneath Her Feet" has a jazz, funk sound to it with a lot of attitude. I'm not quite sure what to make of it yet, but I know that I like it. It's catchy, it's clearly talented, and I could dance to it. What else could I need?
"Meet You At The Bar" continues the same trend as "Beneath Her Feet." It's a little faster, but it has the same addictive funk feel. The lyrics are interesting to say the least, and the sound is great. However, the sound takes a complete change with Mannequins- which by the way, is my favorite song on Bow Wow.
Mannequins sounds like if MGMT and All-American Rejects had a baby. A wonderful, Italian  catchy baby. This song shows off two things that we didn't get much of a real taste for in the previous tracks- Sandro's voice and Andrea's synth skills. Bravo. I love this song.
"63, Fortress Road" is adorable. It's snyth heavy, and has a background of kids playing... Doesn't get much cuter than that. No vocals, minimal instruments... Just a nice little slightly creepy, slightly cute interlude.
"One Last Round" is another great song. It's powerful, it's catchy, and I LOVE Sandro's voice. 
"I Feel Dead" is up there as one of the best. I'd say it's second to "Mannequins." 

Pretty much every song on this record kicks major ass. It's some of the best indie I've heard all this year- and definitely the most original with the most influences. Everything from the classics, to the punks, to today... They've got it all covered. Love it.

Buy this. You'll thank me later.
--Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment