Friday, February 4, 2011

Sleep Fleet - Good Morning, Good Morning, Good Morning, Good Morning.



Sleep Fleet are, more often than not, Corey Montgomery and Nick Shope of Dayton, Ohio. My old band used to play with this band all the time, but previously they were known as All Alliteration Aside (they change their name to be taken more seriously or something of the like). Their style has changed at times over the years, but their sound isn't so much different as much as they've just gotten a lot better at songwriting and playing their instruments. They have this dude Ryan Weaver for a drummer...he pretty much blows everyone away at all the shows. Then their roadie Andre Vanderpool...he pretty much blows everyone in the band...I think.

The album Good Morning (x4) can be streamed for free on bandcamp, and you can also purchase it from there if you like it. I'm going to place all my money on the odds that you're going to like this album a lot. The fact that I'm broke and have no money to put down shouldn't deter you from believing me; this album is awesome. Sleep Fleet always puts on an amazing live show and I think this album (produced by Joe and Mary Lynn of This Is My Suitcase) captures everything wonderful about this band. The recording quality is great, and the mixing is perfect, but the production doesn't overstay its welcome at all. It's clean and dirty in all the right places, and it's a great example of what to expect when you see these guys live.

Wake Up, You're Bleeding is the first song on this album, and it's also the most memorable. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a text from my friends quoting this thing in the morning, saying "good morning, good morning, good morning, good morning!" And then it's stuck in my head all fucking day. Corey's vocal delivery is simply excellent. His hard-on for Tom Gabel and Jesse Lacey really shines through with his singing, but that's not saying his voice isn't unique, because it's definitely always obvious when it's Corey. His voice is great and a definite reason to get into Sleep Fleet to begin with.

If I had to time to write it or you had the time to read it, I'd give a play by play of this entire album, but instead I'll be polite and go over the parts that need mentioning. The song Quiet Maryland really stands out on this EP due to how damn catchy it is. I'm a sucker for singalongs, because I like to hear the sound of my own voice, but I kind of also just want to shut up and listen to Corey sing for this one. "No, can't run, can't move, can't fight it," and "run a little faster, you little bastard/Can't you see she's coming after?" will get stuck in your head all day.

I think my favorite song on the album would have to be Worms. The guitar work is awesome, and the backup vocals are cool as fuck. I really like the way this song was produced, and I think it's as close as you can come to imagining them live by listening to the album. But really, you can't beat seeing them live. If you're ever in the Dayton area you should see their band play. Or hopefully they do a full tour sometime in the future.

The album of course finishes up by firing some more of the infectious "good morning, good morning, good morning, good mornings" at you, and it never gets old. I threw the link to the album on bandcamp up somewhere in the top of the article, but I'll do you the favor of throwing it down HERE as well. Also, you can find them on facebook right HERE.



Thanks for reading, dudes!

-Idle

2 comments: