Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Voodoo Glow Skulls... What the fuck?

I was told from the beginning by Idle that Voodoo Glow Skulls are known for being an acquired taste- it either tastes like shit or you drink it with breakfast.
Wait, no. That's whiskey. But he told me that about this band too. We were both curious to see if we fell into the love or hate category- we proceeded to laugh together for the next 38 minutes. We decided to listen to Steady As She Goes from 2002.
Starting off with... "Voodoo Anthem."
What is going on? The horn lines are okay... Bass is sloppy... I have absolutely no idea what Frank Casillas is saying- and not in a good way. The only nice thing I can say about this track is the horns are good. This reminds me of the first time I went a show of my stepbrother's at the local teen hardcore hang out when I was little. Not in a good, nostalgic way. More of a "why is that fat kid wearing eyeliner, where's the bathroom, where's my mom?" way. Who do voodoo, we do, fuck you. Clever, guys.
"Steady as she goes"- Starts off not bad. The instruments are lined up for once, even though it sounds like it was realigned later in editing. I don't have too much to say about this song.... but I don't want to listen to it on a regular basis. This track is more hardcore than ska.
"Nada En La Cabeza"- I was really hopeful at the beginning- great intro. Only to be let down... (BTW, Idle tells me the song title means "Nothing in the head." I guess having an empty head is a good excuse for making confusing experimental skacore.)
A fun little tune composed almost completely of thirds and scales, called "High Society" comes up next. Frank, you sound like you had a stroke and now half your face doesn't work. I'm sorry. I hope you're at least huggable.
To be honest, I won't even bother describing the rest of the album- it goes the same way. Except for one track-
"The Basketball Song."
What. The hell.
GIMME THE BALL, THE BASKETBALL!- the one lyric in this song. With occasional creepy backup singing. Sorry guys, I don't think that this'll be the next NBA thing.

If any of their other earlier albums aren't this horrible, let me know. Some of their shows and compliations sounded impressive, so they couldn't ALL sound like this.

-The Bear

Idle: I promise she's not mean...the album just sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment